If you haven't already, this is the year to recognize that having a GREAT (not mediocre), professional headshot is essential. It’s not just the real estate agents who need a good picture on their Linked In Account and business card...
...It’s you too!
In today's digital world, your headshot is the first impression that a potential client, customer, vendor or employer has of you. And if you know anything about first impressions - you know that they are extremely important, and they can never be recreated.
The headshot has replaced the handshake.
Your Headshot Is Your Face To The World
Think about the last time you had a job interview. How much time did you spend getting ready for it? Were you thoughtful about the clothes you wore… your hair… your makeup?
Now think about your profile picture on social media. Think about all the people who see this picture before they ever meet you. Potential jobs, potential friends, potential dates… everybody you interact with in your life will see that picture. Don’t you want to look your best? Of course you do and for a very small investment of time and money, you can have a great portrait that represents a professional YOU.
A Professional Headshot Makes Your Website Look More Professional
When your website has more consistent images, it looks more professional. It shows that you have taken the time and put in the effort to make a good impression. When you use selfies and cropped social snapshots, your site can appear disjointed, which can be a turnoff for potential customers.
It is Useful for Market and Branding Collateral
Branding is much more than just a catchy logo or tagline. It’s also an emotional tie that you make with your customers. In other words, your face is your company brand. Business owners use marketing collateral to talk about pertinent information regarding their merchandise and services. That headshot is a significant part of the marketing collateral. It puts a face behind the business.
Even if you are not a business owner, personal branding is important. If you win an award or are asked for a photo to be published in an upcoming publication or even flyer, do you have anything on hand, ready to go? Your professional headshot is perfect for this.
- Your headshot should depict what you look like now. Don't mislead your customers, or potential employers regarding your age. No surprises!
- The average shelf life of a headshot is about two years. Also, you will want to update your headshot if your appearance changes. For example, if you’ve lost a lot of weight or have had cosmetic dental work done to improve your look - time for a new headshot!
- Clean backdrops are important. Many photographers use white or grey backdrops because of their neat appearance. Textured backdrops are not ideal, neither are "fake" offices or green-screen backgrounds. If you don't like the look of a plain backdrop, consider an outdoor session or one with your own office or building in the background.
- Consider adding a little color in your wardrobe, it adds personality and makes you stand out a bit.
- Make sure to get high-resolution and web-resolution copies of your images so your photos can be used for both print and online.
For high quality headshots, call Fotoplicity. I offer in-studio and outdoor headshots for both business and creative professionals. Clients love my expression coaching and immediate image review where I personally help you select the best images for your brand.